Have you heard? October 11, 2012 is the world’s FIRST ‘International Day of the Girl’, and thousands of people around the world right now are making plans for a celebration.
Global change starts locally, and International Day of the Girl is the moment to generate local conversation about how your community can help write a better future for girls. We’re hosting an event in New York City, and we hope that you will join us by hosting an event in your own community. We have already gotten over 165 confirmed events on 6 continents around the globe!
Are you someone who cares about making the world better for girls? There is NO limit on how you can celebrate! Host a panel by inviting experts on girls’ education or poverty alleviation to speak and hold a discussion on the untapped potential of girls worldwide. Or join the 10×10 book club with your friends and have a dinner party using recipes from the 10×10 book club toolkit. Or start a petition, or hold a rally! Invite change makers! Just stand up and do something. Every little bit counts. We have all the resources you need to help you personalize your event.
So, here are some tips on how to host a great International Day of the Girl event:
1. Register your event with 10×10: When you register you will get access to all the tools and materials you may need to host an event in our resource center. AND, your event will be featured for the world to see on our events map.
2. Educate yourself: Why girls? What is International Day of the Girl? What’s the 10×10 Campaign all about? How is educating girls one of the most efficient ways to break cycles of poverty and make the world a better place? Find all the answers to these questions and more:
- One page overview on the story behind International Day of the Girl
- Background information on the 10×10 campaign
- List of the 13 must-know facts on the powerful impact of education girls
3. Get started: Think about what this day means to you. What do you want to accomplish, and what should your event look like? Read our “Guide to Hosting an Event” for some excellent tips, but make the event your own.
- Are you a college student? Our friends from HerCampus.com list a plethora of interesting ways to celebrate on your campus.
- Are you an artist? Hold a photo exhibit! Here’s access to some of 10×10′s stunning photography (password: dayofthegirl) from the field, pre-branded for International Day of the Girl with informative statistics and inspirational quotes.
- Are you a movie buff? Host a screening! You can download the 10×10 “Because I am a girl” video (password: 10x10act) now. On October 10th you’ll receive an exclusive link to the 10×10 film teaser and campaign trailer, along with 3 short talks on the power of girls’ education from the speakers at our event in New York City.
- Are you a storyteller? Download the 10×10 International Day of the Girl PowerPoint presentation, and make it your own! Use our photos and facts to help engage your audience with compelling data on the unlimited potential of girls around the world. Stay tuned for suggested “talking points” to be posted in our resource center next week.
- Are you a parent, or an educator? Here’s a writing exercise you can do with both boys and girls inside the classroom or in your home. In the coming weeks, we will be posting a curriculum created by the Pearson Foundation, including lesson plans for students ages 8-11 to support International Day of the Girl.
- Are you an athlete? Host a Girl’s Run with our friends from Give Running.
- Are you a musician? Stage a concert to fundraise or simply raise awareness.
4. Make it happen: Once you have your event all planned out, it’s time to spread the word.
- Use our individual and NGO/Organization invitations to let your guests know about your International Day of the Girl event.
- Tell the world you’re taking action through social media. Our Social Media How-To Guide is packed full with Tweets, Facebook posts, Pinterest photos, and all sorts of information on how to use each social media platform to your advantage.
Use our event planning check-list to help you organize your timeline and make sure you have all your bases covered. Whatever you decide to do on International Day of the Girl, help drive ACTION!
Collective action can and will lead to positive change. Together we can make a difference. Together we will change the world! Stand up for girls on October 11th, the world’s FIRST International Day of the Girl. Four weeks left and counting….